Tupolev Tu-114 Rossiya
The Tupolev Tu-114 Rossiya (Russian: Tyполев Тy-114 Poccия; NATO reporting name Cleat) is a large turboprop-powered long-range airliner designed by the Tupolev design bureau and built in the Soviet Union from May 1955. The Tu-114 used the basic wing, empennage, landing gear, and powerplants of the Tu-95 bomber, mated to a totally new pressurized fuselage of much larger diameter. The aircraft was the largest and fastest passenger plane at that time and also had the longest range, at 10,900 km (6,800 mi). It has held the official title of fastest propeller-driven aircraft since 1960.
Due to its swept wing and powerplant design, the Tu-114 was able to travel at speeds typical of modern jetliners, 880 km/h (550 mph). Although it was able to accommodate 224 passengers, when operated by Aeroflot, it was more common to accommodate 170 passengers with sleeping berths and a dining lounge.
The Tu-114 carried over six million passengers before being replaced by the jet-powered Ilyushin Il-62. Thirty-two aircraft were built at the Kuibyshev aviation plant (No.18) in the early 1960s.